Perhaps your expanding family is outgrowing your current house or maybe all your fledglings have left the nest and it’s time to downsize. Maybe you just want a custom home designed and built to your specifications. Regardless of your reason, you’re in the market to sell your home…and hopefully fast. You’ve decided to find a custom house plan and lot to suit your needs. But before you embark on your journey of the home building process with Wayne Homes, here are a few helpful suggestions for making your current house appealing to prospective buyers.
Tips for Staging Your Home
Take the time to help buyers visualize themselves in your space. Don’t overwhelm them with bold color schemes and dramatic patterns. Here are a few tips on how to stage your home and create a neutral space that will resonate with a variety of people.
- De-personalize each room. It may be difficult for someone to imagine your daughter’s floral themed room could be the perfect space for a home office. Clear personal items such as photos and knick-knacks from all the rooms so buyers are able to see themselves and their lives in each room.
- Make more room with less furniture. Think of your furniture as an extension of you, and therefore it needs minimal presence when showcasing your house so buyers can see the space; not the décor. If you have storage space, remove extraneous pieces so others can better envision their stuff in your home.
- Use simple, tasteful décor. Clear the coffee table of any clutter and shelves of your enormous book collection. Don’t let little things distract buyers from the potential they can see in your home.
- Embrace neutral tones. Paint the rooms in your home white or neutral colors to make them appear larger. Though your yellow kitchen makes your mornings cheery, a bright hue may not appeal to everyone.
- Hire a pro photographer. Set aside a date where your home looks perfect and pristine; have a professional photographer take photos of your house. Ask your real estate agent for recommendations, and then use the pictures for your and your realtor’s marketing efforts. Hint: social media sells!
Entice Buyers With Incentives
Prospective homebuyers love a good deal, especially on a purchase of great magnitude. Set your home a part from other houses by sweetening the pot for the lucky homebuyer. Let them know that your home is a great value by adding in any of these bonus features.
- Offer a Home Warranty. For under a thousand dollars, you can give buyers peace of mind by insuring major appliances and other elements of your home. With a Home Warranty policy, you can give the new homeowners the assurance they won’t be shelling out more money should something break in the first year.
- Provide Credit to a Home Improvement Store. You’ve painted your walls Creamy Eggshell to open the room up, and it’s a smart move for sellers. However, your prospective buyer may think Orange Grove would be the perfect hue for the sunroom and Seafoam is ideal for the guest room. A kind gesture of offering a credit for new paint at a home improvement store goes a long way.
- Don’t Forget the Baked Goods. Who doesn’t enjoy a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie or zesty lemon bar at a home showing? Not only do guests appreciate your sweet treat, it’s a great segue for your realtor to talk about how great the kitchen is. Bonus: Baked goods make the house smell yummy.
- Brag About Recent Home Improvements. Make copies of a list of all recent home improvements and place them near the cookies. Let potential homebuyers know you care about your home and who moves in next by showing them all the TLC and hard work you’ve put in for them.
Since the real estate market is projected to continue on its upward trajectory, there’s never been a better time to sell your home. Follow these tips and you will be able to sell your house in no time, so you can focus on your new custom home with Wayne Homes. Imagine soon after, you’ll wake up every morning in a home where every square inch has been tailored to your needs and built by the most qualified team around. Visit the Model Home Center nearest you to learn more about our award-winning service and floorplans.
About Wayne Homes
Wayne Homes is a custom homebuilder in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, and West Virginia (see all Model Home Centers). We offer more than 40 fully customizable floorplans and a team dedicated to providing the best experience in the home building industry. For more information, Ask Julie by Live Chat or call us at (866) 253-6807.