Kitchen sinks are one of the most used tools in your home. Although you may not give much thought to it, when you are building a new home with Wayne Homes, you definitely should. When you design your own custom-on-your-lot home with Wayne, you have the opportunity to create your home exactly the way you want it. That means everything can be customized…right down to the kitchen sink.
Let’s take a closer look at the different shapes and styles:
- Single bowl
- Double bowl
- 50/50 (both sides of the sink are equal size)
- 60/40 (one side of the sink is slightly larger than the other)
- Farmhouse – single bowl apron front sinks
Once you know what type of sink you want, you must select which sink material you want. Here are the pros and cons of each available sink material:
- One of the most durable materials available – does not chip, crack, or peel and is resistant to stains
- Neutral in color which goes with most decor styles
- Available in drop-in or undermount install options
- Most affordable sink style
Granite – Wayne Homes offers Silgranit kitchen sinks
- Silgranit is a composite material made of up to 80% quartz sand, the strongest component of granite
- Silgranit sinks have a stone-like feel and are extremely easy to clean
- Come in a variety of colors; easy to match up with all decor styles
- Highly stain resistant
- Silgranit can handle high temperatures
Enameled cast iron (Kohler white farmhouse kitchen sinks)
- Crafted from enameled cast iron, this sink resists chipping, cracking, or burning for years of beauty and reliable performance
- Available in different colors to meet any design style
Once you’ve decided what kind of sink you want, you’ll need to select how you want that sink to be installed with your countertops. A drop-in sink is installed from above, while an undermount sink requires enough space to install from below. Mounting brackets hold the sink against the countertop, with caulk sealing the transition from counter to sink.
Mounting/countertop installation options:
- Drop-in sinks (for laminate or solid surface countertops)
- Undermount sinks (for solid surface countertops only)
- Integrated sinks (seamless undermount sinks for laminate countertops only)
If you have a certain sink in mind, be sure to ask the design team at Wayne Homes to be sure it can be installed the way you want it to look with your selected countertops. Some sinks are able to be installed as both drop-in and undermount, depending on the countertop material. Other sink options can only be installed as drop-in or undermount so the correct countertop material must be selected in order to accommodate these sinks.
This brings up an important selection–your countertops! Countertop material determines which types of sinks can be selected due to the ways they are mounted/installed with the countertop.
- Solid surface countertops (granite or quartz) can accommodate undermount sinks, drop in sinks, or farmhouse (apron front) undermount sinks. Here’s some visual inspiration:
- Double bowl undermount stainless steel sink with quartz countertop
- Single bowl undermount stainless steel sink with quartz countertop
- Double bowl Blanco Silgranit sink undermounted with quartz countertops
- Single bowl Blanco Silgranit sink undermounted with granite countertops
- Farmhouse (apron front) sink undermounted with granite countertop
- Farmhouse (apron front) stainless steel sink undermounted with granite countertops
- Laminate countertops can accommodate drop-in sinks, integrated sinks, or farmhouse (apron front) drop-in sinks. Here are some inspiration shots of a variety of combinations:
- Double bowl stainless steel drop-in sink
- Integrated stainless steel single bowl sink
- Integrated stainless steel 60/40 sink
- Stainless steel farmhouse (apron front) drop-in sink with laminate countertop
- Single bowl Blanco Silgranit drop-in sink with laminate countertops
- Double bowl Blanco Silgranit drop-in sink with laminate countertops
We know we’ve given you a lot of food for thought with all these kitchen sink options, so try out our handy online tools to help you visualize exactly how your sink will look in your kitchen.
- Design your perfect kitchen with our Kitchen Visualizer
- Find kitchen inspiration in our Kitchen Design Guide
- View different kitchen combinations in our Gallery of Kitchens
Do you have a specific question about sinks, kitchens, or the overall design process? Give the pros a call!
About Wayne Homes
Wayne Homes is a custom homebuilder in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and West Virginia (see all Model Home Centers). We offer more than 50 fully customizable floorplans and a team dedicated to providing the best experience in the home building industry. For more information, Ask Julie by Live Chat or call us at (866) 253-6807.