Landscaping is a huge part of your home’s curb appeal, but it’s often one of the last things we think about when building or buying a new home.
An inviting, well-lit walkway, colorful flowerbeds, or shade-providing trees can all frame your home and make it even more welcoming. You may be wondering where to begin…especially if you’re considering entering our 2021 Landscape Contest. Well, you’re in luck–we have an easy-to-follow method for getting your landscaping up to snuff:
Step 1: Create Your Canvas
Your lawn–or lack of one–is your blank canvas to build your landscaping upon. So, do you want the maintenance and upkeep of grass or do you decide to take a more minimalist approach using gravel, rocks, and shrubs? Consider water usage and who will be enjoying it when deciding if you want a grassy lawn. Kids love running around in the grass, whereas a pair of empty nesters may want to forgo the maintenance a lawn requires. Do you have dogs? Consider creating a combination yard with a dog run separate from your lawn, so your furry friends don’t ruin your lush, green grass.
Step 2: Make It Inviting
A winding path to your front door has timeless appeal. Whether poured or stamped concrete or stepping stones, your path should be well lit. Use landscape lighting for your paths and walkways to help guests safely reach their destination. You can choose hard-wired or solar landscape lighting, but if you select hard-wired, be sure to work this into your build plan, so you don’t have to worry about putting in the electrical after your home is finished.
Step 3: Just Add Color
Nothing packs a bigger punch than a splash of color at the front of your home. Make it easy on yourself and plant perennials, such as peonies, lilies or phlox, for a color burst that comes back every year. Large decorative planters at your home’s entry make a huge impact and can be updated seasonally to add personality to your home. Punch it up even further by adding colorful throw pillows to your porch chairs or patio set.
Short on Space?
Look up! Instead of planting on the ground, plant on the walls. Install a vertical herb wall on one side of your porch or pergola. Use hanging baskets or window boxes to maximize the space you have. Make your storage do double duty with storage benches or tables. And remember, even the smallest spaces look incredible with the right touches.
2021 Landscape Trend Watch
Regardless of the size of your yard, you can incorporate the latest landscaping trends for 2021 to dial up your landscaping style.
- Outdoors as an extension of the indoors: Covered outdoor living areas that have all of the comforts of inside on the outside – big-screen TVs, pizza ovens, kitchenettes, and billiard tables, etc
- Group seating: Perfect for neighborhood gatherings, group seating makes it easy to invite neighbors, friends, and family over for get-togethers.
- Sports courts: The global pandemic has made it even more important to have a backyard that supports recreation and relaxation. Basketball courts, tennis courts, bocce ball, turf for soccer or football are all popular options.
- Vegetable beds: Covid-19 put an emphasis on self-sustaining backyards. According to a 2021 landscaping trend forecast, veggies, fruit, and herb gardens will continue to be in high demand. With lessons learned from impromptu Covid-gardens last year, this year these spaces will be better thought out and gardeners will be more prepared. Raised garden beds and potted herbs will continue to trend.
- Small swimming pools: Modest-sized pools bring the fun without needing a huge yard. With neighborhood pools closed during Covid-19, many families chose to install a pool so they could still have summer fun.
- Pollinator gardens: People are becoming more aware of how gardens benefit wildlife – homeowners are choosing plants because they would benefit birds, bees, or butterflies.
If you have some amazing landscaping you want to show off, we want to see it! We’re excited to announce the 2021 Wayne Homes Landscape Contest will run from Monday, May 24-Tuesday, July 6, 2021.
About Wayne Homes
Wayne Homes is a custom homebuilder in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and West Virginia (see all Model Home Centers). We offer more than 50 fully customizable floorplans and a team dedicated to providing the best experience in the home building industry. For more information, Ask Julie by Live Chat or call us at (866) 253-6807.