Multigenerational homes have become more and more common for many reasons.
This style of home is on the rise in America because they’re practical, affordable, and allows for more quality time with family. It allows aging grandparents to live safely under the same roof as their children, while also providing opportunities for grandparents to care for grandchildren, saving on babysitting costs. Also, by pooling your resources, multigenerational homes are often built to fit the needs of everyone in the home, without compromise.
The great thing about Wayne’s in-law suite floor plans is that they allow just the right amount of togetherness.
So everyone has their own space. The benefits of bringing everyone together are undeniable … grandparents get to be part of their grandkids’ lives, they have an option besides a retirement community or assisted-care facility, the family stays more connected. And that’s just the beginning.
At Wayne Homes, we’ve built many multigenerational homes featuring in-law suites.
We can customize any of our floor plans to include an in-law suite. You have three options to choose from when adding an in-law suite:
- Option A: Bedroom with en-suite bath
- Option B: Bedroom, Bath and Open Kitchen/Living Area
- Option C: Bedroom, Bath, Kitchen & Living Area
If you have additional needs for your in-law suite, we can also customize in-law suites to be whatever your specific needs are. That includes accessible features and safety measures to keep your loved ones comfortable in your multigenerational home.
A great example is our Brentwood model home in our Newark Model Center. It features an in-law suite with a bedroom, en-suite bathroom, and small kitchen/living area.
Many of our customers put the in-law suite as an addition to the rear of the home or side of the home. Some even have their own “front door” so they can enter their suite without having to go through the main home. Another idea is to add the suite to the lower level if there is a walkout basement. This might not work for your loved ones if they have mobility challenges, but it could also work for older kids living at home, who are maybe not quite ready to leave the nest.
In-law suites can be a fun design opportunity to really showcase some personality and get creative with the space you have.
Here are some ideas when you are designing your in-law suite:
- Color Me Happy–Consider color options and patterns that will make your loved ones feel at home. Try a bold wallpaper for an accent wall or even paint the ceiling a happy hue to bring in some color.
- Sitting Areas–Provide a sitting area so your in-laws are not forced to use the bed for both needs. This makes the space feel like a small home rather than a hotel room.
- Safety First–Add grab bars or install a curbless shower for easy entry as your loved ones get older. You can find handrails in a variety of finishes to match your selected bathroom and bedroom finishes, so it fits in with your decor and doesn’t feel too sterile. Also, consider flooring choices. For example, a slate floor will be slippery when wet. Consider luxury vinyl tile as a safer and cost-effective alternative to potentially dangerous tile flooring.
See some of the homes with in-law suites we’ve designed together with our homeowners to get inspired to build your own!
Would you like to get started designing your Wayne home with an in-law suite? We can help! Drop us a line and we can show you what’s possible.
About Wayne Homes
Wayne Homes is a custom homebuilder in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and West Virginia (see all Model Home Centers). We offer over 50 fully customizable floor plans and a team dedicated to providing the best experience in the home building industry. For more information, Ask Julie by Live Chat or call us at (866) 253-6807.