Outdoor spaces are in demand, and having a deck is a real game-changer for your home.
Decks extend your living space to the outdoors, so you can sip lemonade while watching the kids ride their bikes out front, or enjoy a BBQ out in the backyard. Besides functional value, decks add a lot to your home. And you’re in luck because we’ve created your guide to decks in this blog.
Adding a deck to your home:
- Adds an aesthetic appeal to your home’s exterior
- Increases liveable space to your home
- Connects the indoors to the outdoors
- Provides a place to host parties and family get-togethers
- Adds value to your home (in fact, the NAR/NALP says you can recoup 106% of your costs in resale value!)
There are a variety of types of decks you can build onto your home. While traditional decks are made from wood or composite materials, covered concrete porches are becoming more popular, especially with the new stamped concrete finishes.
Types of decks:
- Wraparound deck, which completely surrounds the front or back of your home
- Attached deck, the most common kind of deck typically extending from your front or back door
- Detached deck used for a specific purpose, such as a shady spot in the garden, etc.
At Wayne Homes, we use two materials when building decks and porches–Trex composite decking and concrete.
While these are the two materials we use at Wayne Homes, there are many options to customize your deck. Just like we offer completely custom homes, we also offer completely customizable decks.
Here are some options to consider when building your dream deck:
- Covered or uncovered?
- Rail/spindle options
- No rail/spindle
- Vinyl rail and spindle
- Metal rail and spindle
- Location of deck
- Front of home
- Rear of home
- Wrap around – on the front and side, on the rear and side, etc.
The reason Wayne Homes prefers to use Trex composite material when we build decks is that it is lower maintenance than wood, which means it lasts longer. Trex maintenance is much less than that required of treated wood. Regular staining/sealing is necessary to keep moisture out to prevent rotting. Although maintenance is required, some homeowners prefer the look of real wood. You’ll have to set up a regular wood deck maintenance plan to ensure the life of your wood deck is extended as much as possible.
Our Hampton Farmhouse II model at Bowling Green and Richmond II Craftsman model at Akron-Medina feature Trex decks. There are also several models that show covered concrete porches. The Ashland Charleston features a stamped concrete-covered patio, and the Columbia Farmhouse model also has a concrete patio.
How to care for an outdoor deck:
- Trex composite decks are easy to take care of and maintain. It’s a huge part of their appeal. See how to clean and care for your composite deck.
- A concrete patio or porch requires some TLC to keep it looking great. Here’s how to clean and care for a concrete patio/porch.
If you are building a second home or vacation home from our Lake Collection, a deck is a wonderful feature to take advantage of a view or great location. Just imagine…lounging on the deck overlooking the lake for a lazy summer you’ll never forget. Or, gazing at the mountains or beautiful landscape. That’s right–our Lake Collection can be built anywhere you want. It’s not a requirement to be near the water. Look at this lake house deck inspiration from our collection.
Want to see some great deck options in action? Check out our Charleston Classic Open House video. This beautiful home features a covered and uncovered deck space on the rear of the home, giving the homeowners options while making the most of a great view. If you’re ready to start your deck vision board, then check out our Deck Photo Gallery and start gathering inspiration.
Ready to hit the deck? Contact us to tell us what you’ve been dreaming of, and we’ll put a plan together to make those deck dreams come true.
About Wayne Homes
Wayne Homes is a custom homebuilder in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and West Virginia (see all Model Home Centers). We offer more than 50 fully customizable floorplans and a team dedicated to providing the best experience in the home building industry. For more information, Ask Julie by Live Chat or call us at (866) 253-6807.