Multigenerational living is growing in popularity. A multigenerational home is a household made up of three or more generations living together under one roof. Typically, that is 2-3 related adult generations, as well as children.
There are many reasons why multigenerational living has become so popular.
One reason is that it allows multiple generations to share home expenses. It’s a lot easier to afford a larger, newer home when you are sharing the expenses between family.
Another reason is that older generations are living longer. So, a multigenerational living situation is ideal for grandparents who want to age in place instead of moving to a retirement home.
A beautiful fringe benefit of multigenerational living is that grandparents can help raise their grandchildren. It can eliminate or reduce the need for babysitters or child care. And, studies have shown that active grandparenting reduces stress, increases mental engagement, encourages better physical health, and boosts longevity.
Wayne Homes has a selection of floor plans that are ideal for multigenerational living.
Here is a list of them and the specific features that can benefit your family.
- Anderson: Features two owner suites–one on the first floor and the other on the second floor.
- Alexandria – This ranch floor plan offers a split bedroom layout with an option to change bedrooms 2 and 3 into a second owner suite.
- Arlington – This ranch floor plan includes two owner suites.
- Chesapeake – A 2-story floorplan with the option to change bedroom 4 and the pantry on the first floor to a second owner suite.
- Concord – A split bedroom layout ranch floorplan with the option to change the den/flex room, half bathroom, and bedroom 2 to a second owner suite.
- Columbia – This 2-story floor plan includes a first-floor owner suite and there’s the option to change the loft and bedroom 4 on the second floor to a second owner suite.’
- Montgomery – A split bedroom layout ranch floor plan with the option to change the included den/flex room and bedroom 3 to a second owner suite.
- Savannah – A 2-story floor plan with included owner suite on the second floor with the option to add a second owner suite on the first floor.
- Washington II – A 2-story floor plan with included owner suite on the second floor and the option to add a second owner suite on the first floor.
- Fairfax – This is a 2-story floor plan with the included owner suite on the second floor; bedroom 4 on the second floor includes an ensuite bathroom and wall closet, which could serve as an alternative 2nd owner suite.
- Winchester II – This 2-story floor plan has an included owner suite on the first floor; bedroom 4 on the second floor includes an ensuite bathroom and wall closet, which could serve as an alternative 2nd owner suite.
Wayne Homes is known for our ability to customize any of our floor plans to fit your exact needs.
So, if you find a floor plan you love, you can rest assured that you have options on how to add an in-law suite to your preferred layout.
- Option A – Adds a bedroom, wall closet, and a full bathroom.
- Option B – Adds a bedroom, wall closets, full bathroom, kitchenette, and living room area.
- Option C – Adds a bedroom, wall closets, full bathroom, ensuite laundry, kitchen, and living room.
No matter which floor plan you choose, you can feel good about creating a home with options for multigenerational living. Whether you need it now or are planning for the future, an in-law suite adds value to your home and can serve multiple purposes.
Do you have a question about how to build a multigenerational home with Wayne? Contact us! We’d love to help.
About Wayne Homes
Wayne Homes is a custom homebuilder in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and West Virginia (see all Model Home Centers). We offer more than 50 fully customizable floorplans and a team dedicated to providing the best experience in the home building industry. For more information, Ask Julie by Live Chat or call us at (866) 253-6807.